Missing "Many" plurals for french language

Hello,
According to the last CLDR version, the french language plurals are not correct.
It’s missing the “many” plural.

CLDR last version (v42.0): Language Plural Rules

Can this be fixed?
Thank you

1 Like

Hi @JeremDev thanks for your investigation, passed to the team :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi, have an update on the matter.

We will update all languages where we missing new standards, like the “many” plural form. The appropriate epic task has been already created.

Still, it wouldn’t be released soon, because it requires additional investigation.

For example, some users already have French as 100% translated, and adding a new form means they will lose this progress. As a result, if their integration is based on the export option “export only fully translated file” it wouldn’t work until this new form becomes translated. For those who are fine with current forms, this change may quite uncomfortable.

Right now we’re discussing a solution that would work great for all our clients. You can sure that the languages will be definitely updated according to new standards.

Wish you a great day ahead :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Dima! Any updates here? It’s been over a year and we have this same issue!

Hello @camilapedraza

We haven’t released this task so far. As I’ve mentioned, this one is very complicated to “softly” realize. I’ll check with the team about this task’s progress.

Greetings @camilapedraza

I checked with the team, and the progress hasn’t been updated much since the last conversation with you.

We have received only a few requests about “many” forms (not only for French), and it seems like most of our customers still haven’t upgraded to the latest parsers/libraries. This means that this change will affect all customers and for many, the 3rd form can break everything in projects and translations.

For example, in the new .xcstrings format, we added two forms, and there were no complaints from customers.

We are currently discussing the option of adding custom languages to accommodate this new form, but I can’t say for sure whether this will be implemented or not.

We will keep you updated on progress directly via email.