Hey, I’m using the webflow integration and when I’m trying to import a new version of the website it all looks like it’s working, but at the end an error message appears: “Failed to check the import progress. Please try importing the website again”.
I’ve made hard refresh of the page, cleaned all cache, but no success.
Run a quick test from my side - all is scanned great, with 1 page and with all pages approach.
If you tried cleaning the cache, please try another browser as well. Also, re-install the application should help. Some time ago we’ve updated a few things related to access tokes, so the re-install should solve the problem.