Create/update json with supported languages

I’m using Crowdin with react-i18next. Currently, to populate the supportedLngs field of the i18next object, I have to use the fs library to get the supported languages from the locales folder. I think it would be nice to have Crowdin create a supported-langs.json file that contains the supported languages. Alternatively, this information could also be added to the crowdin.yml file.

1 Like

Probably try this one, should be fine GitHub - lingui/js-lingui: 🌍📖 A readable, automated, and optimized (5 kb) internationalization for JavaScript

For the things you’ve mentioned, Crowdin brings you translated files by default. Like, is you upload english.json, on the export you will receive french.json, german.json and so on. Just need to configure the translation path so those files were not placed in .zip - French folder - french.json

1 Like

Hey @DuuanVanVaagh. Thank you so much for your answer. My main problem was with i18next and i18next-html-backend not providing a way to get the supported languages (see Missing languages in the language list · Issue #1068 · i18next/i18next · GitHub). Because of these, users have to set the supportedLngs option when they want to create a language picker.

I think it would be nice if Crowdin provides an option in the GitHub integration to write a simple JSON file containing the currently supported languages to the PR (see github-emoji-picker/supported_locales.json at main · rickstaa/github-emoji-picker · GitHub).

My current workaround is to use a GitHub action to create this file based on the language folders found in the public/locales folder:

Action file

name: "Update supported locales"

on:
  push:
    branches: [main]

jobs:
  updateSupportedLocales:
    runs-on: ubuntu-latest
    steps:
      - name: Checkout Repository
        uses: actions/checkout@v3
        with:
          fetch-depth: 0

- name: Setup Node.js
        uses: actions/setup-node@v3
        with:
          node-version: "16"

- name: Install dependencies
        run: npm ci

- name: Update supported locales file
        run: npm run update-locales

- name: Create Pull Request if 'src/assets/supported_locales.json' file was changed
        uses: peter-evans/create-pull-request@v4
        with:
          commit-message: "Update supported Locales"
          branch: "update_locals/patch"
          delete-branch: true
          title: Update supported locals
          body: "The [update_supported_locales](https://github.com/rickstaa/github-emoji-picker/actions/workflows/update_supported_locales.yml) action found new locales."
          labels: "ci, locales"

update-locales script file:

/**
 * @file Compare 'assets/supported_locales.json' with the languages in 'public/locales'
 * and create a pull request if there are new languages.
 */

const fs = require("fs/promises");

const run = async () => {
  console.log("Get current locales...");
  const currentLocales = await fs.readdir("public/locales");
  console.log(currentLocales);

console.log(
    "Get supported locales from 'src/assets/supported_locales.json'..."
  );
  let supportedLocales = JSON.parse(
    await fs.readFile("src/assets/supported_locales.json", "utf-8")
  ).supportedLocales;
  console.log(supportedLocales);

console.log("Compare current locales with set of supported locales...");
  const newLocales = currentLocales.filter(
    (locale) => !supportedLocales.includes(locale)
  );
  if (newLocales.length === 0) {
    console.log("No new locales found.");
    return;
  }
  console.log("New locales found:", newLocales);

console.log("Update 'assets/supported_locales.json'...");
  const newSupportedLocales = {
    supportedLocales: [...supportedLocales, ...newLocales],
  };
  await fs.writeFile(
    "src/assets/supported_locales.json",
    JSON.stringify(newSupportedLocales, null, 2)
  );
  console.log("'src/assets/supported_locales.json' updated.");
};

run();
1 Like

Good to hear the Git actions works fine for you. Probably it’s yours framework specification or so, so native connector doesn’t work as expected. I know some users works outside or repositories, with API based w-flow only. I suppose creating the language .json file may be stated in feature request. If you have some extra pluses from other users, Crowdin will review this request and decides its future. Feature requests and ideas | Crowdin

3 Likes

Great, thanks for your answer.

1 Like

@YuryChugov I just submitted the idea to Feature requests and ideas | Crowdin. It does not yet show up, but I think the Crowdin team has to approve it first. Will post a link here when it becomes visible.

2 Likes