"<" becomes "&lt;" after saving

Good day!

Previously, when typing and saving the “<” symbol, it was saving as it was. But now when I want to create a new string and add the same symbol, it outputs “&lt ;”. How to solve it?

Can you provide a screenshots or video record? Maybe it’s a file type that changes just in the way it should work or you use some keyboard shortcut? Also, where you type that, in the beginning of the string or somewhere in the middle?

Hello, AnnaRockstray!

Thanks for your reply!

Here is the link to the video recording: Video Recording - CrowdIn Issue - YouTube

All I do is just type the symbol on the keyboard (shift+,). I added the “<” symbol in the beginning, as I was doing before and there was no situation like this.

Thank you in advance!

However, the “<” symbol works when adding the translations. Here is the screenshot:

It probably may be just a preview issue. Have you tried re-updating the file?

Also, what you receive on the export? Does it affects only this string? You tested on another one, without &lt?

I guess it’s a preview moment, and those symbols are hardcoded as untranslatable tags. And when you build download transaltions you will see yours symbols <

Thanks for your opinion!

I have tried to re-upload the string, but nothing changed. Each time I try to use the symbol its result is the same - &lt. It affects every string in the content.

Unfortunately, it is not a preview… The outcome shows &lt instead of <.

Hello @Talgat_Ayapov

It is related to the file format. As far as I can see, you’re working with .XML file, and due to this file format “rules” the << symbols would break the file structure. That’s why the system replaces them.

What is in your source file = what you see in the editor. This logic helps to avoid general issues in the future.

For example, this logic doesn’t allow adding symbols, that are comfortable for translation purposes but may corrupt the file itself. As a result, the developer will not be forced to do a file review before pushing a translation into production.

Thanks for your full explanation!

1 Like